FattaFit talks about a fitness activity that does not make you feel like your exercising. Its fun, fast, entertaining with a lot of dance moves, its called Zumba. Neha, a Zumba instructor tells us all we need to know about this fun fitness activity. Happy reading and follow us on Facebook.
Zumba is a Spanish word that means to buzz like a bee. And yes, even after a Zumba session you will find humming the sound even though you did not get any of the lyrics!!! It fuses entertainment and culture into an exhilarating dance-fitness sensation with Latin and International music. The choreography incorporates merengue, salsa, cumber, reggae ton, samba, cha-cha-cha, hop-hop, bollywood and many more. A typical Zumba session mixes low-intensity and high-intensity moves for an interval style, calorie-burning dance fitness party and is often referred to as an exercise in disguise.
How it all Started??
Zumba was a fortunate stroke of serendipity. In the mid 90’s, an aerobics instructor named Alberto ‘Beto’ Perez forgot his music for one of his classes. He instantly improvised by using his personal music collection of salsa and merengue and conducted the class. It was an instant hit and thus Zumba was born. It’s popularity grew steadily as Beto moved to Miami and joined hands with Alberto Perlman to take it to the mass market by selling the DVDs. The demand only grew, which led to the creation of the Zumba Fitness Academy . This gave birth to the cult of licensed Zumba Fitness instructors around the world.
Why should I do Zumba??
Yes, Zumba is for you and EVERY BODY. Zumba is a total body workout, combining all elements of fitness – cardio, muscle conditioning, balance and flexibility. It boosts your energy and gives you serious dose of mood-improving endorphins as yourself in the dance and music. It is a great aerobic routine improving your cardiovascular system, which is extremely helpful for weight loss. It increases the bone density, improves balance and muscle-tone and lower blood pressure.
Its incredibly upbeat and I can guarantee that you’ll be smiling through the entire class. The steps are simple and pretty easy to follow. There are a variety of specialty classes apart from your regular Zumba classes.
- Zumba Gold & Gold-Toning: This is targeted at the older age group with goals of improving one’s muscle strength, posture, mobility & co-ordination.
- Zumba Steps: Is one of the newest programs, it tones & strengthens gluten and legs with a gravity defying blend of Zumba & Step areobics.
- Zumba Toning: This is for the ones who do their workouts with toning sticks. Zumba toning will target the abs, thigh, arms and other muscles through the body. It sculpt the body and provides the participants with a cardio workout.
- Zumba Sentao: This is a chair workout that focuses on using your body weight to strengthen and tone the body.
- Aqua Zumba: These sessions are held in a swimming pool. Th moves have been specially adapted to combine the same dance movements as in a Zumba Class with those used in Aqua Fitness Classes, which creates a fun and effective total body workout.
- Zumba in the Circuit: This is a combination of dance with circuit training. These sessions usually last about 30 minutes and feature strength exercises on various stations in timed intervals.
- Zumba Kids: These classes are designed for children between the age group of 4 – 12 years.
- Zumbini: This is a fun class and designed for our youngest fans from the age group of 0 – 3 years. It includes bonding and having some fun with their moms.
It is the perfect stress reliever for every age and gender. It lowers your inhibitions, enhances confidence and increases the sluggish metabolism and lastly but not the least, it’s addictive.
Author: Neha Mohanty
Apart from being a licensed Zumba Instructor, Neha also manages the business development, corporate sales and marketing at The Tribe Fitness Club. In her spare time, you will find her reading or playing the violin.